For a long time indeed, you might have viewed the ads about affiliate marketing and its benefits by various advertisers and affiliate program founders such as Amazon, Etsy, Shopify, and other such organizations whilst browsing on Google, Facebook, Instagram, and other digital media platforms.
And indeed, you might have thought for a second that you shall also try to generate passive income through it as the other people have been doing so for a long time and are generating thousands of dollars from it.
However, the other thought might have popped up within your brain, saying that how you will do it is too hard, and so on.
But let me tell you that earning through affiliate marketing is one of the easiest ways to generate money online, and it is as easy as picking a cherry from a cake.
This article will share a step-by-step process on how to start affiliate marketing, how it works, dos and don’ts in affiliate marketing, and the list of the affiliate programs you can join to benefit through them.
Instead of quickly diving into the deep oceans of affiliate marketing, first, let me give you a quick small introduction to affiliate marketing.
In this article you'll learn,
What Is Affiliate Marketing?
Affiliate marketing is a commission-based money generating system where a third person brings leads or sales to another person’s product or service in exchange for a short sum of money from the sale. It’s a system where you earn by promoting other products and services.
For example, I am selling an XYZ product to you, and if you like it, you can share it with your audience and earn a percentage of the share from the sale when they buy through your affiliate link.
As per Wikipedia, affiliate marketing is performance-based marketing in which a business rewards one or more affiliates for each visitor or customer brought by the affiliate’s marketing efforts. The industry has four core players:
- The merchant (also known as ‘retailer’ or ‘brand’).
- The network (that contains offers for the affiliate to choose from and takes care of the payments).
- The publisher (also known as ‘the affiliate’).
- The customer.
How does affiliate marketing work?
Let’s say you run a page on social media which has fifteen thousand followers on Instagram, and your goal is to have fifty thousand followers, and through them, you want to earn some money. How will you do this?
Just by posting good captions, carousels, videos, stories, reels, and IGTV videos on your platform, you can’t expect your followers to pay you. Still, it would be best if you had something powerful that forces your audience to help you earn money.
So how are you going to do this?
It is where affiliate marketing helps you; you will receive the following benefits by doing affiliate marketing.
1. By promoting others’ products and services, you attract the audience to come and follow you, which is how you grow your followers’ list.
2. By providing the valuable products and services your audience needs, you force them to trust you more and establish yourself as an expert within their sight.
In such cases, the chances are high that your audience will purchase through your affiliate link.
3. You create recurring traffic for your social media platform, blog, or website, which helps you maintain your platform’s good health.
There are many other benefits of affiliate marketing; in the short and straightforward term, affiliate marketing is just like giving and seeking a shout-out to increase your followers, sales, and brand exposure.
How to become an affiliate?
Now, as you know what affiliate marketing is, what are the benefits of affiliate marketing and how it works, I am sure that you are craving to learn how to become an affiliate? So bang on and keep reading further.
Although there are numerous ways for becoming an affiliate marketer, there are some tips that I would love to give you to become an affiliate marketer.
1) Select an affiliate marketing program or platform where you would like to kickstart your journey as an affiliate marketer. You can find the websites just by searching on google by typing (affiliate marketing websites) in the search bar and boom, you have got a whole list of affiliate marketing websites.
Moreover, there are a lot of affiliate programs or portals available in the market but as you are a part of our friend’s circle, we would like to suggest to you the five best affiliate marketing programs.
- Amazon associates
- Shareasale affiliates
- Impact radius
- Commission junction
And If you are someone who is from India and wants an India-specific network, then you can refer to vcommission. It is a good affiliate network.
2) Join Facebook groups related to affiliate marketing, you will be able to find many resources on affiliate marketing including, the best themes for affiliate marketing websites, cheat sheets, guides, and so on.
Pro tip – join the affiliate program of any local business and explore the world of affiliation.
Make sure that you have a clean online record of increasing the chances of your application being approved.
2. Start affiliate marketing with a niche website as it reduces the chances of your application being rejected, and it’s more likely that your application will be approved.
When it comes to approving an affiliate marketing request, the top affiliate organizations are rigorous in this. Many Freudian activities happen in the digital world, and no company wants to risk its reputation and prestige.
It would help if you gained their trust, and you can do this by emailing them with the following things.
1) Which channels you are going to use for promoting their products or services.
2) What’s your strategy for promoting their products and services?
3) Once your application has been approved, start exploring the products and services available at the organization platform, select the best seller and relate to your niche.
Develop a strategy on how to promote them; you can follow some of the following ideas.
- You can write product reviews related to the product you are promoting and insert the link in your blog post, Facebook post, and Instagram stories.
- You can make the unboxing videos related to the product and insert your affiliate link within your youtube video, or mention it in the description.
- You can also put your amazon associate page link within your Instagram bio website section as a call to action.
- You can also promote your affiliate link through Facebook and Google ads.
- You can write blog posts comparing the products to educate your audience and push them to purchase through your affiliate links.
- You can repurpose the blog content and post it in your Instagram guides section and ask your audience to click on the link in bio for more information.
- Don’t assume your audience will buy from your affiliate link just by dropping the connection. No one will buy through this tactic, and it will harm your online reputation, but rather than create step by step affiliate marketing funnel and implement it.
- Don’t do buttering (sugar coating) as your audience is already intelligent, and they know you well. So please don’t risk the future of your business by sugar-coating, as when it is done, people leave you.
- Don’t add many products to your list, but choose those high in quality and start to affiliate them. Quality is always better than quantity.
- Don’t be the one who does a flow of their promotions; keep track of whatever you are promoting. Nothing is terrible in this, though.
So we mark the end of the article or the guide on how to start affiliate marketing and we hope that now you’re crystal clear with affiliate marketing and empowered at the same time to kick start your journey as an affiliate.
And if anytime you need our assistance, please drop a comment on this blog post related to your query or email the query email@example.com and we shall get back to you as soon as possible.
Till then take care of yourself and wait for the next blog post.
PS don’t forget to share the article if you found it helpful. Let’s lift each other.