Providing a hassle-free user experience to the visitor of your website is very important because it is considered the first step to convert the visitors into your hot leads for making them your paying customers. You need to ensure that the whole designing and navigation structure is up to the mark for satisfying your customers if you want more sales and more brand exposure.
However, sometimes it happens that many small business owners lose their potential leads due to broken links. When they search for something on their website, they do not see anything except the 404 error page, or maybe this page is temporarily down, etc. So to help the small business owners not lose their potential leads because of the broken link issue, today we will share three tools on how you can identify the broken links.
But before that, let’s know what a broken link is and its impact on your site.
What Are Broken Links?
Broken links are those links that do not work on a website. There can be many reasons for some of the links not working, but the top three reasons for a broken link error are mentioned below.
- The website is no longer available.
- The webpage was moved without redirecting it.
- The URL structure is changed.
The google search engines consider the links as a vote for website quality and help your search engine ranking.
Now, as you know what broken links are, let’s see what their drawbacks are.
- Some website visitors might not come back to your portal due to the non-satisfying user experience.
- The more broken links on your site, the harder it is for Google to crawl your site.
- Dropping within your search engine ranking
- The site can suffer from high bounce rates if visitors leave your page after landing on the 404 error page.
The bounce rate is much more important than the 404 error page as bounce rates are a ranking factor, and Google can even penalize you for that if it’s too hard.
How To Find A Broken Link?
Although there are many ways to find the broken links, such as viewing the broken links in the google search console, you can even find them via the broken link checker or broken link tool.
Still, here we would love to share the three excellent tools that can help you identify and resolve the internal and external broken link issues.
So, the list goes here.
Ahref is not just a keyword research tool, but in short, it is an all-in-one SEO tool for your overall SEO strategy. You can find content ideas even perform a site audit to find broken links and other SEO issues of your website in one place.
To find the broken links through ahref, follow the given steps:
- Go and run a site audit in ahref and analyze the broken link reports to understand what kind of broken links you have on your website. In site audit, ahref crawls your whole website, including the broken links.
- Now, first, click on the internal pages tab and click on the outgoing links report on the hand navigation’s left side.
- You can access the report on the left navigation side of the interface as well.
- In the outgoing links report, click on the “page has links to a broken page”.
- A new section will open on the page, having a button titled “view affected URLs”.
- This report will show you a whole list of the pages of your website which have broken links.
- Furthermore, this report gives you the information to repair your links and end them, called “link rot” by many optimizers.
- You can download the data from ahref and view it in a spreadsheet for a more in-depth analysis.
Pro tip – You can repeat the same process to find broken internal links, but click on the incoming links section in the “internal page” tab.
Semrush is a whole suite consisting of SEO and other digital marketing tools to help you analyze and understand your website and digital marketing campaigns.
Moreover, in semrush, there are tools for content marketing, advertising, social media, and SEO, to name a few.
In the accessible version of semrush, you can create a single project.
When you create the project, you can run a site audit for the project; in the free version, you are allowed 100 URLs per audit, whereas, in the premium version, you can get access to the whole site of the enterprise.
Select the “issues tab” in the site audit report and select “internal links are broken”.
On the other hand, you can open the “select an issue” menu to view broken internal links.
And then you get the report that shows you both the URL for the page and the broken URL of the broken page.
Note – You can repeat the same steps to find the broken external links.
In addition to this, you can even export the data to a CSV or XLSX file as well.
Or you can add the data of the broken links list to a “Trello card”.
3. Screaming Frog SEO Spider
Screaming Frog SEO spider is a simple web crawler to get the information about a website for SEO analysis.
A free version of screaming frog will allow you to collect the data from 500 URLs, wherein you can manage the data to an unlimited number in the premium version.
If you want to identify the broken links through screaming frog SEO spider, then do the following steps:
- Go and enter your site link, send the SEO spider to crawl your website, and hand over the list of the URLs.
- You can navigate to the “Response Codes”, select it and then click on “Client Error (4xx)” from the filter dropdown.
- Alternatively, you can access the same information by clicking on the “Client Error (4xx)” from the overview on the right side of the hand navigation.
- You can see the whole list of broken links, a few of them will be from an internal page, and the other few will be from an internal to an external page.
- As now you have the half info, which is the broken links, it doesn’t mean that you have the complete information; you need to get the other half knowledge about the internal pages in which these broken links have been found.
- To know this, select a broken link and then look at the bottom of the interface and select the “links” tab to show you a whole list of the pages that link to the set broken page.
- You can click on the “outline” option to get the reports for the outbound links.
- You can even download this report as a spreadsheet. Just go to the top navigation bar and select “bulk reports” > “Response Codes” > Client Errors (4xx) inlinks.
4. SEO Minion
This is a free extension you can add to your browser for making your daily tasks easy and manageable. Follow the steps:
- Go to Google and type SEO Minion
- You will be guided to Google Playstore.
- Click on “Add to Chrome”
- This will add a symbol to the Top Right corner.
You can check your On-page SEO and Broken links. There is an option to use Google Location Simulator to know the search pages in your country as well as some other country you wish to search on. Once you get rid of these errors shown, you can easily manage to rank in Google’s top search engine list.
Lastly, make sure that you create a checklist when launching or managing a website. A checklist of what needs to be done for the website to work properly.
Broken links can utterly ruin your user experience and it is researched that 88% of customers don’t return to the site after a bad experience. These can cost you a great deal. These are like the “silly mistakes” which you must have done in your school examination too.
Try avoiding these mistakes with broken link checker tools that make it easier for you to have a flourishing business.
Let us know how you liked this blog. Did you find it informative? Comment below and ask any possible queries you have. Tell us if you want us to write more on link building. To know more, and being updated with the digital world, Stay connected!